Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Let's talk about me! with Marianne


I am totally new to the blog-o-sphere, but it's about time! Thank you to Allison for making this our first assignment.  Talking about yourself is a little uncomfortable, so hopefully you will all post, so we can talk about you for a while.  Or other equally interesting topics.  Cheers!

What is your current professional position (student/job title/company) and how are you involved, or not, with adult learners? 
I am a consumer insights strategist, putting my career on hold for a bit while I go to grad school.
I have taught adults in the past (ESL/EFL) and loved it.  I have also done training in corporate environments, including course development, for creative problem solving, career and life planning, and research protocol.  This is my last semester before I work on my capstone.  My program is Leadership and Organizations with a specialty in Strategic Innovation and Change.

How do your future plans (career/personal/etc.) involve knowledge about adult learning?
It's my hope to do more teaching at the adult level in marketing, as well as begin on-going programs to teach other professionals in creative problem solving techniques.

How would you rate your current knowledge of adult learning theories? What are some of the things you already know about adult learning theory (theories/theorists/general concepts)?

In doing our reading for this week, it was surprising to be familiar with some of the names - Skinner, Maslow- to name just two.  It seems like I may have forgotten more than I ever knew.

What do you already know about yourself, or not know about yourself, as an adult learner?
I haven't really been able to define myself as an adult learner.  In the past, i.e. undergrad (many, many years ago...) I was best at lectures, note taking, and review, with little patience for reading on my own.  Although I love to read for pleasure.  Now, in grad school, I am finding that the reading is so much more enjoyable, I am able to commit to this part of the work.  But, I still have to take notes on what I read.

What do you hope to get out of this course? 
I want to be better at customizing my materials to fit the needs of students, thus making it easier for them to enjoy and retain what they learn.  It would be great to make these kinds of changes on the fly as needed in real life situations. I am also really into visual communication of knowledge and am interested in how this intersects with adult learning theory.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marianne,
Sorry it didn't work out for you to join class last night!

I like your blog title - seems quite appropriate given your degree focus.

I look forward to meeting you in class.

Tobi Anderson

Allison Friederichs said...

Marianne,
Welcome! I'm so sorry again that we weren't able to make it work last night. I'm interested to learn more about what you do as a moderator. It sounds like you have a good deal of experience doing some kind of training, so that's great. Your future goals are interesting; in fact, you share the desire to provide problem-solving training with Tobi, a classmate of yours! So that's really interesting b/c it's kind of a unique niche. I love your comment about having forgotten more than you know! lol. So true. Last night in class we talked about how sometimes you draw on theories without even knowing you're doing it. Of course, the goal of this class is to raise that to the conscious level. Looking forward to meeting you face-to-face!
Allison

Unknown said...

I see from your profile I dont exist to you. Your other sibling Bobo.