Monday, October 4, 2010

I like to draw pictures...

One of the ways in which I like to learn, is by visualizing a concept.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  I created this one because I was inspired by the essence of adult motivation for learning.  I would love to have feedback from others to see if this diagram works for them, as well.  I would like it to be bigger, but I am still  "getting to know" this blog format.
In class last week we also discussed the visualization of statistics.  I have included a link to a gentleman who has very definite ideas of how knowledge, of any sort, can be presented visually for good communication.  This link is to the one visualization that gets the most attention.  Tufte did not create it, and he is not a graphic artist, but he promotes it as one of the best examples of visual communication of knowledge. http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/posters
I also like these guys for creating concept maps, not so much about statistics, but about processes. http://www.dubberly.com/concept-maps
And finally, a book I came across recently also has a website: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/.  Once again, not all of this is statistical, but a lot of it is.  I am interested in how some of this visualization of knowledge would translate culturally and how could it be a tool especially in the realm of the fun/delight factor in motivating adult learners (like how I brought this back to the topic?!).  I know I am delighted by it!

6 comments:

Juli said...

Marianne - I actually really enjoyed your picture! I thought that I understood those concepts, but seeing your visualization of the concepts made it much more concrete for me. Thanks for creating and sharing!

Anonymous said...

Ditto that, Juli! And I really enjoyed the visualization links - particularly the last one. I love that I'm seeing a lot more "infographics" lately. I just wish I could think that way in order to create them. Great job, Marianne!

Allison Friederichs said...

Wow, Marianne! Very cool. (Can instructors get away with saying "cool"? lol). I must admit, I am not a visual learner at all. I am very kinesthetic and auditory. I gloss over the tables and charts when I read because most of the time, they mean absolutely nothing to me. BUT, the "informationisbeautiful" link you shared is really intriguing to me. I am going to spend more time looking at these. They are so creatively done -- not your typical charts and tables! You have inspired ME to try to work visual learning more into my own teaching and learning. For me, you have really addressed the "attitude" condition from Wlodkowski. We will spend some more time We'll spend some more time talking about learning styles later in the quarter, but what this makes me think about is how we can intersect creating a positive attitude toward learning and opening a learner's mind toward learning styles other than the one with which they are most comfortable. After all, as Wlodkowski points out, for learning to really take place, there has to be some challenge. It isn't supposed to be cake!

Also, I very much appreciate your query as to how your own visual translates culturally. I believe that it translates inclusively. In other words, thinking about inclusive teaching is so much more than just culture. The visual representation of a concept is one example of inclusive teaching because you are attempting to illustrate a concept to learners in a different way to ensure it is understood by everyone, not just the aural learners.

Thanks for a very intriguing and enlightening post this week. I appreciate this!
Allison

Anonymous said...

Marianne-

You highlight a very good point about the visual impact on learning. A majority of people (perhaps excluding Allison) remember information much better when they experience a combination of seeing it, hearing it, and reading it. I really like the visual you added in the blog. Thank you!

See you tonight,
-Tom

Cameron said...

Awesome, I love visualizing, even though my less savy teachers always called it daydreaming. That's an interesting model you've suggested. It looks like you are saying that success increases with motivation and that some pathways to these things are volition, values, and enjoyment. Ever heard of path analysis? I have no idea how to do it, but it might be interesting to you and helpful for your capstone (I think it's like a bunch of regressions or something). Anyways, I think it makes sense to me. As someone who sees models in a standard circle/box format almost weekly, it is kind of refreshing to see your different take on presenting how you see the information. I think what I liked most is the triangle that seems to show an additive effect as success and motivation go up. One thing that might make it more accurate would be to add an arrow on the other side of each arrow to show there is reciprocity there. It seems like the theory of self-efficacy would suggest the more willingness a person has, the more volition/success they will likely have as well as vice-versa, so maybe something to point that out could be helpful.

Marianne said...

Hmm, Cameron, you made me do a hmmmm. I want to think about this reciprocity idea. The arrows were more of a way give meaning of certain additives then to show outcomes, but now I am going to think about either changing the symbol for outsome (one way arrow) to an equal sign, or as you suggest as a two-way result.